Mahindra Unveils the All-New Thar: The 4x4 Icon is Now a Contemporary, World-Class SUV
Set to blaze new trails with Quantum Leaps in Performance, Comfort, Technology & Safety
Stays true to its Legendary Off-Roading Capability and Iconic Design
Mumbai, August 15, 2020: Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd., a part of the $19.4 billion Mahindra Group, today unveiled the All-New Thar, the most eagerly awaited and legendary SUV, on the occasion of India’s 74th Independence Day. In its all-new avatar, the Thar is a quantum leap in terms of performance, everyday comfort & convenience, technology and safety, as it stays true to its core promise of unmatched off-roading capability and builds on its iconic design.
Unveiling the All-New Thar, Dr. Pawan Goenka, MD & CEO, M&M Ltd said, “Today, with the unveil of the All-New Thar, we rewrite history once again. The All-New Thar is firmly rooted in our rich automotive heritage and upholds the Mahindra DNA in its purest form. We are proud of our authentic SUV legacy that has been guarding the freedom of this nation by serving the armed forces since the 1950s, while simultaneously becoming the spirit of adventure and a lifestyle icon. The All-New Thar is a dynamic expression of fun, freedom and independence, and is geared up for its next adventure”.
The All-New Thar will not only attract die-hard Thar enthusiasts, but also appeal to all those people who have always dreamt of owning an iconic vehicle, with all the bells and whistles of a contemporary SUV.
The All-New Thar has the following exciting features:
- All-new BS-6 compliant Engine options: The 2.0 litre mStallion TGDi Petrol engine and the 2.2 litre mHawk Diesel engine
- New Gearbox options: 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission & 6-speed manual transmission mated to an authentic manual shift-on-the-fly 4x4 transfer case
- All-new Roof options: A Hard Top, a first-in-class Convertible Top and an optional Soft Top
- All-new Seating options: 4 front-facing seats & 2+4 side-facing seats
- All-new Technology Features: Drizzle resistant 17.8 cm touchscreen infotainment system, cruise control, adventure statistics display and a whole lot more
- All-new Comfort and Convenience Features: Sporty front seats, roof-mounted speakers and lots more
- New Safety Features: ABS + EBD, Dual airbags, ESP with rollover mitigation, Hill-hold and hill descent control and a whole lot more
According to Rajesh Jejurikar, Executive Director, Auto & Farm Sectors, M&M Ltd., “The All-New Thar will enhance the appeal of a brand that is already a cult, to a wider set of consumers. It will target people who seek extraordinary journeys and wish to Explore the Impossible. The All-new Thar will be launched on 2nd October, 2020 which is also our Founders Day”
Veejay Nakra, CEO, Automotive Division, M&M Ltd. said, “The Thar has represented the spirit of freedom, thrill and fun-to-drive character that few other vehicles can match. With the All-New Thar, we aim to protect this legacy with superior performance both on and off the tarmac, advanced technology features, excellent safety and everyday ride comfort, all adding to the unadulterated driving pleasure of a true-blue modern SUV.”
Ever since India became a free nation, ‘The Mahindra Classics’ have enabled Indians to explore new worlds and conquer even the most challenging terrains. For over seven decades now, The Mahindra Classics have shared a close bond with India’s story and the unveil of the All-New Thar on the momentous occasion of our country’s Independence Day is a significant milestone in taking this journey ahead.
As Ralph Waldo Emerson, the renowned poet said, “Do not go where the path may lead; Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” The All-New Thar allows you to do just that.
Designed and engineered in India and manufactured out of Mahindra’s Nashik Plant, the All-New Thar will be available in 6 exciting colours, Red Rage, Mystic Copper, Napoli Black, Aquamarine, Galaxy Grey and Rocky Beige.
Website/Social Media Handles/Hashtags:
Website - auto.mahindra.com/suv/thar
About the All-New Thar
Evolution of an Iconic Design
The All-New Thar stays true to the iconic 2-door silhouette but adds purposeful and contemporary touches and design elements to it. With a wider, better-balanced stance and a choice of hard top and convertible roof top options, the All-New Thar imposes its presence wherever it goes.
This design approach flows into the interiors as well. While retaining the commanding driving position that is an integral part of the Thar’s DNA, the All-New Thar has a completely redesigned interior that mirrors the robust, retro-styled cues of the Thar’s exteriors.
- Iconic Design
- LED Daytime Running Lamps
- Dual Tone Bumpers
- LED Tail Lamps
- 45.72 cm (R18) Deep Silver Alloy Wheels
- Choice of Three Roof Options: a Hard Top, First-in-Class Manual Convertible Top & a Fixed Soft Top
- Front Fog Lamps
- All-New Purposeful Interiors with an All-Black theme with Silver Accents
- Faux carbon-fibre detailing around the AC vents & centre bezel
The All-New Thar is powered by two all-new engines which set new standards in terms of performance, refinement and reliability. A first for Thar and Mahindra, the All-New Thar is powered by the 2.0L mStallion TGDi petrol engine, and by the 2.2L mHawk Diesel engine. These engines are offered with a choice of 6-speed manual transmission or 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission, with an authentic 4x4 manual shift transfer case with a low ratio.
- All-New mStallion TGDi Petrol Engine producing 150 bhp of power & 320 Nm of torque
- All-New mHawk CRDe Diesel Engine producing 130 bhp of power & 320 Nm of torque
- 6-Speed Manual Transmission & 6-Speed Automatic Transmission options
- Shift-on-the-Fly 4x4 Manual Shift Transfer Case with Low Crawl Ratio
Legendary Off-Road Capability and Refined On-Road Driving Experience
Rough trips demand tough vehicles. That’s why the All-New Thar has been built on a rugged 3rd Generation chassis and tested extensively in some of the harshest terrain in India and across the world. It has an all-new suspension setup that delivers the impossible: better off-roading capability, as well as superior on-road handling and drive quality. The All-New Thar is also equipped with advanced off-road hardware that seriously improves its capability to go wherever and do whatever the driver demands of it.
- Authentic Body-on-Frame Construction- A True SUV
- Independent Front Suspension & Multi-Link Rear Suspension set-up
- Shift-on-the-Fly 4x4 Manual Shift Transfer Case with Low Ratio
- Mechanical Locking Differential on the Rear Axle
- First-in-Class Brake Locking Differential
- Class-leading approach (41.8 deg), departure (36.8 deg) & ramp over (27 deg) angles
- Ground clearance of 226mm in unladen condition
- Water wading depth of 650mm
- All-Terrain Tyres 255/65 R18, with White Lettering: The Largest Tyre in its Class
- First-in-Class Electromechanical Driveline Disconnect
Everyday Comfort & Convenience Features
The All-New Thar has been designed to provide amazing comfort & convenience in all driving conditions, be they off-road, on the highway or in the city. Special focus has been given to making the interior design as ergonomic as possible for all passengers, not just the driver.
- Sporty Front Seats
- Front-Facing Rear Seats with 50:50 split
- Roof mounted speakers
- Height Adjustable Driver Seat with Adjustable Lumbar Support
- One-Touch Tip & Slide Mechanism on the Co-Driver Seat
- Tilt Adjustable Steering Wheel
- Power Windows
- Electrically Adjustable ORVMs
- Central Locking with Remote Flip Key
Loaded with Technology
Keeping in mind the sporty and adventurous lifestyle of its owners, the All-New Thar is loaded with technology that keeps drivers connected with the Thar, their surroundings and friends no matter where they are, through multiple first-in-class features.
- 18 cm Touchscreen Infotainment System with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, USB, Navigation
- First-in-Class Adventure Statistics Display on the Infotainment System
- First-in-Class Adventure Connect: Mahindra Adventure Calendar Display
- First-in-Class Smart Watch & Phone Connectivity with Blue Sense App
- TFT Multi Information Display in the Instrument Cluster
- Electronic HVAC Controls
- Drizzle resistant (IP54 Standard) dashboard switches
- First-in-Class Tyretronics: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
- First-in-Class Tyre Direction Monitoring System
- Cruise Control
- Steering Mounted Audio & Phone Controls
Excellent Safety Standards
While exploring the impossible, it’s best to stay as safe as possible. That’s why the All-New Thar is equipped with a excellent range of active & passive safety features to keep all passengers secure and out of harm’s way.
- Crash-safety compliant bodyshell
- First-in-Class ESP with Rollover Mitigation
- First-in-Class Built-in Roll-cage with 3-Point Seat belts for all passengers
- Dual Airbags & ABS
- First-in-Class Hill Hold & Hill Descent Control
- First-in-Class ISOFIX Child Seat Mounts
- Intellipark: Rear Parking Sensors
The Mahindra Group is a USD 19.4 billionfederation of companies that enables people to rise through innovative mobility solutions, driving rural prosperity, enhancing urban living, nurturing new businesses and fostering communities. It enjoys a leadership position in utility vehicles, information technology, financial services and vacation ownership in India and is the world’s largest tractor company by volume. It also enjoys a strong presence in renewable energy, agribusiness, logistics and real estate development. Headquartered in India, Mahindra employs over 2,56,000 people across 100 countries.
Learn more about Mahindra on www.mahindra.com / Twitter and Facebook: @MahindraRise
Media contact information
Vice President (Communications)
Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd.
Landline - + 91 22 28468510
Email - [email protected]